Depeche Mode are an English electronic band formed in 1980 in Basildon, Essex who released their debut record in 1981.
I saw Depeche Mode play live before they had a hit record at The Locarno in Birmingham it must have being 1980/1, supporting them were a very young Blancmange (Living on the Ceiling, The Day Before You Came etc), I still tell my friends I saw Depeche Mode when Vince Clark was a member.
I have chosen some of there greatest hits to be reviewed this week.
Depeche Mode have had fifty songs in the UK Singles Chart and thirteen top 10 albums in the UK charts and have sold over 100 million records worldwide.
Q magazine calls Depeche Mode "the most popular electronic band the world has ever known" and included the band in the list of the "50 Bands That Changed the World!" Depeche Mode also rank number 98 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".
1. Dreaming Of Me
2. New Life
3. Just Can't Get Enough
4. See You
5. The Meaning Of Love
6. Leave In Silence
7. Everything Counts
8. People Are People
9. Master And Servant
10. Blasphemous Rumours
1. Dreaming Of Me 2. New Life 3. Just Can't Get Enough 4. See You 5. The Meaning Of Love 6. Leave In Silence 7. Everything Counts 8. People Are People 9. Master And Servant 10. Blasphemous Rumours
I do like this activity as it forces me to re-consider my previous views.
Interesting this ...yet another one of those ‘new’ synth only type acts I completely ignored as a youngster. Without listening to them properly until now I had formed a completely different view. I had only listened to them at a ‘veneer level’ on the radio ... sparky sounding monophonic synths, playing repetitive phrases distracted from the quality of the songs. I played a couple a couple of the riffs of these on guitar this morning...interested and fun i even found good morning judge (10cc) in there There was a writer change as a i recall ...not sure where the new starts and where the old one finishes although you can hear the technology (and budget) getting bigger as they progress.
My absolute favourites of these are 3. Just Can't Get Enough 4. See You 5. The Meaning Of Love 7. Everything Counts
Next ... 1. Dreaming Of Me 2. New Life 6. Leave In Silence 9. Master And Servant
Not for me 10. Blasphemous Rumours
It did send me on a trek to find others..for me their best ones in my view you left out personal jesus and enjoy the silence.
1. Dreaming Of Me - Standard fare for 80s music; but they do seem to have their craft down really well. Like the meandering keyboard parts.
2. New Life - Very cool sounding tune, really like it.
3. Just Can't Get Enough - Not the most original lyric; but it is a nice tune.
4. See You - Meet me on the corner of m and eh, for any of it's merits.
5. The Meaning Of Love - Good dance song, my daughter moving around to it while eating her ice cream. She like the beat.
6. Leave In Silence - Reminds me a little of "Stranger in Town" by Toto. Nice atmoshperic feel.
7. Everything Counts - Reminds me of The Cars, like the main keyboard riff, very effective.
8. People Are People - Ah, the big hit. It's good for sure, but I get annoyed when it makes me think of jerks who refuse to get along, despite everyone's best efforts. But it is an awesome lead-up to the chorus, and chorus. Definitely a cranker! Classic climactic repeating fade-out.
9. Master And Servant - OK, but can't honestly say it does much for me, lyrics seem a little creepy, and doesn't seem much unique about it; but it is OK.
10. Blasphemous Rumours - An honest lyric. I believe in God; but I gripe at Him more than anybody for all the stuff that happens that I don't understand. The Psalms in The Bible are mostly griping at Him too. Which is good, because it's talking to Him, not just about Him. Heck, even Jesus on the cross said "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me." All part of the human experience.
- Star Rating: 4.1 out of 5 Prime Cuts: "New Life", "People are People", "Blasphemous Rumours" Bottom Line: Have the eighties craft down as good or better than anyone! Nice stuff!
It seems like the main strength is the persistence of interesting single-note keyboard melodies, it seems, and keeps the interest with interesting chord changes too. Lyrics often somewhat standard, but "People are People" certainly seems like an above average lyric, for sure!
Thanks HW, will mark you down for the next available spot, guess will let this one ride another week, since I was too busy to remind whoever it was for their turn this time, and will remind them for this Sunday coming up.
elophile: OH, Yes! Will you take a little sip when no one is looking?
Jun 23, 2020 20:10:41 GMT
Horacewimp: I’ll check and see if he takes sugar ::smileys-thumbs-951446::
Jun 23, 2020 20:47:50 GMT
elophile: I bet he takes honey... good for the vocal chords!
Jun 26, 2020 0:41:49 GMT
elophile: And no milk. You don't want to get all phlegmy...
Jun 26, 2020 0:42:37 GMT
Grroosss: Well. I discovered r/ELOcirclejerk and the ELO Discord yesterday. Lots to offer (and fans my age!) but too much chaos to take in all at once... Feels good to be back home ::animated-smileys-hug-008::
Jun 30, 2020 22:06:28 GMT
BSJ: Circlejerk is waaaaaay out there!
Jun 30, 2020 22:53:00 GMT
Helmut83: Is there an ELO Discord? Good data, Grroosss! Gotta check it out, I've been a regular at discord since about two months ago when quarentine boredom drove me there.
Jul 5, 2020 3:12:01 GMT
Helmut83: I couldn't find it though. Maybe you got mixed up with Reddit?
Jul 5, 2020 3:18:29 GMT
orioles70: hope all good forum members saved some fireworks to set off tonight for 50th anniversary festivities, I personally arranged for a comet to arrive right on schedule, try to Zoom in with your telescope and see the bright orange and blue streamers
Jul 14, 2020 1:58:56 GMT
BIuebird: Hello forum friends! I apologize for my long absence, we've had quite a bit of stressful stuff going on.
Jul 14, 2020 13:49:08 GMT
Horacewimp: Hey BIuebird great to see you back hope you are keeping well ::c0112::
Jul 14, 2020 14:16:05 GMT
BSJ: Hi BIuebird! Happy to see you! ::t31232::
Jul 14, 2020 18:05:14 GMT