Depeche Mode are an English electronic band formed in 1980 in Basildon, Essex who released their debut record in 1981.
I saw Depeche Mode play live before they had a hit record at The Locarno in Birmingham it must have being 1980/1, supporting them were a very young Blancmange (Living on the Ceiling, The Day Before You Came etc), I still tell my friends I saw Depeche Mode when Vince Clark was a member.
I have chosen some of there greatest hits to be reviewed this week.
Depeche Mode have had fifty songs in the UK Singles Chart and thirteen top 10 albums in the UK charts and have sold over 100 million records worldwide.
Q magazine calls Depeche Mode "the most popular electronic band the world has ever known" and included the band in the list of the "50 Bands That Changed the World!" Depeche Mode also rank number 98 on VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".
1. Dreaming Of Me
2. New Life
3. Just Can't Get Enough
4. See You
5. The Meaning Of Love
6. Leave In Silence
7. Everything Counts
8. People Are People
9. Master And Servant
10. Blasphemous Rumours
1. Dreaming Of Me 2. New Life 3. Just Can't Get Enough 4. See You 5. The Meaning Of Love 6. Leave In Silence 7. Everything Counts 8. People Are People 9. Master And Servant 10. Blasphemous Rumours
I do like this activity as it forces me to re-consider my previous views.
Interesting this ...yet another one of those ‘new’ synth only type acts I completely ignored as a youngster. Without listening to them properly until now I had formed a completely different view. I had only listened to them at a ‘veneer level’ on the radio ... sparky sounding monophonic synths, playing repetitive phrases distracted from the quality of the songs. I played a couple a couple of the riffs of these on guitar this morning...interested and fun i even found good morning judge (10cc) in there There was a writer change as a i recall ...not sure where the new starts and where the old one finishes although you can hear the technology (and budget) getting bigger as they progress.
My absolute favourites of these are 3. Just Can't Get Enough 4. See You 5. The Meaning Of Love 7. Everything Counts
Next ... 1. Dreaming Of Me 2. New Life 6. Leave In Silence 9. Master And Servant
Not for me 10. Blasphemous Rumours
It did send me on a trek to find others..for me their best ones in my view you left out personal jesus and enjoy the silence.
1. Dreaming Of Me - Standard fare for 80s music; but they do seem to have their craft down really well. Like the meandering keyboard parts.
2. New Life - Very cool sounding tune, really like it.
3. Just Can't Get Enough - Not the most original lyric; but it is a nice tune.
4. See You - Meet me on the corner of m and eh, for any of it's merits.
5. The Meaning Of Love - Good dance song, my daughter moving around to it while eating her ice cream. She like the beat.
6. Leave In Silence - Reminds me a little of "Stranger in Town" by Toto. Nice atmoshperic feel.
7. Everything Counts - Reminds me of The Cars, like the main keyboard riff, very effective.
8. People Are People - Ah, the big hit. It's good for sure, but I get annoyed when it makes me think of jerks who refuse to get along, despite everyone's best efforts. But it is an awesome lead-up to the chorus, and chorus. Definitely a cranker! Classic climactic repeating fade-out.
9. Master And Servant - OK, but can't honestly say it does much for me, lyrics seem a little creepy, and doesn't seem much unique about it; but it is OK.
10. Blasphemous Rumours - An honest lyric. I believe in God; but I gripe at Him more than anybody for all the stuff that happens that I don't understand. The Psalms in The Bible are mostly griping at Him too. Which is good, because it's talking to Him, not just about Him. Heck, even Jesus on the cross said "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me." All part of the human experience.
- Star Rating: 4.1 out of 5 Prime Cuts: "New Life", "People are People", "Blasphemous Rumours" Bottom Line: Have the eighties craft down as good or better than anyone! Nice stuff!
It seems like the main strength is the persistence of interesting single-note keyboard melodies, it seems, and keeps the interest with interesting chord changes too. Lyrics often somewhat standard, but "People are People" certainly seems like an above average lyric, for sure!
Thanks HW, will mark you down for the next available spot, guess will let this one ride another week, since I was too busy to remind whoever it was for their turn this time, and will remind them for this Sunday coming up.
lasttrain929: Thank you eloneen, until yesterday I had never heard of these insects. They live a strange life. Not sure about Circada ice cream or pizza though, not for me.....
May 30, 2021 9:17:00 GMT
Timeblue: After weeks of horrible weather, Mr Blue is living here today!
May 30, 2021 13:00:47 GMT
eloneen: Timeblue I hope you enjoy it! It was sunny and in the 90s here most of last week, with some rain. Today it's cloudy and barely making it into the 60s. Crazy NC weather! ::m1809::
May 30, 2021 17:28:57 GMT
orioles70: with warmer (HOT) weather, the cicadas have gotten noisy. A local news reporter used an app on her phone and said it registered in the mid 80s for dbs (hearing protection recommended). They're not quite that bad in my yard.
Jun 7, 2021 13:56:44 GMT
orioles70: I was driving to the dump today on a road called Beaver Dam Road when what should cross the road but a pair of beaver (mother and child). Guess they named that road well.
Jun 12, 2021 20:28:39 GMT