1. Secret Messages the way it should have been. 2. Time. 3. Face The Music. 4. Out Of The Blue. 5. A New World Record. 6. Eldorado. 7. Discovery. 8. From Out Of Nowhere. 9. Alone In The Universe. 10. Zoom. 11. On The Third Day. 12. Balance Of Power. 13. Xanadu side 2. 14. ELO II. 15. No Answer.
Wasn't that 'Time'? ....lol
"The most outstanding rock group in the world today, my friends,the Electric... Light... Orchestra" TC '78
Timeblue - I'll go ahead and compile the "average" at the end of the week when everyone has had a chance to weigh in.
In the meantime, here was the complete ranking from Mr Pardo.
1 Out of the Blue 2 Face the Music 3 A New World Record 4 Eldorado 5 On the Third Day 6 ELO 7 ELO II 8 Discovery 9 Time 10 Balance of Power 11 Secret Messages 12 Alone in the Universe 13 From Out of Nowhere 14 Zoom
1. Time 2. Out of the Blue 3. A New World Record 4. Eldorado 5. Discovery 6. Balance of Power 7. Face the Music 8. From Out of Nowhere 9. Zoom 10. On the Third Day 11. Secret Messages 12. Xanadu 13. Alone In the Universe 14. ELO II 15. ELO/No Answer
That's the ranking I'll go with, though all of them could certainly be interchangeable with the album above and below it.
ELO: 1. Time 2. Secret Messages 3. Discovery 4. Out Of The Blue 5. A New World Record 6. Face The Music 7. Eldorado 8. On The Third Day 9. Balance Of Power 10. ELO II 11. ELO/No Answer
Jeff solo: 1. Zoom 2. Alone In The Universe 3. From Out Of Nowhere 4. Armchair Theatre
I’m not counting Xanadu although the ELO songs are fantastic - especially I’m Alive, The Fall, Don’t Walk Away and Olivia’s version of Xanadu. My favourite compilation was the original ELO’s Greatest Hits (the one released after Discovery with the medal on the front cover and Jeff’s letter on the back)
1) A New World Record 2) Face The Music 3) Secret Messages (both versions!) 4) Discovery 5) Xanadu (side two) 6) Out Of the Blue 7) Time 8) Balance Of Power 9) Zoom 10) Eldorado 11) On The Third Day 12) ELO 13) ELO II 14) Alone In The Universe 15) From Out Of Nowhere
In reality the top three were easy to decide, then numbers 4 to 9 would have equal ranking, then as listed.
1) A New World Record 2) Face The Music 3) Time 4) Discovery 5) Out of the Blue 6) Secret messages 7) Xanadu 8) Eldorado 9) Zoom 10) Alone in the Universe 11) On The Third Day 12) Balance of Power 13) From Out of nowhere 14) ELO 2 15) ELO
Have to say though Wembley or Bust would have made top 5 if live albums were included.
This distinction is misleading. As I've pointed out before, although more people were involved in the old days, only a couple of the ELO albums of the old days were actually approached as band albums. The first album, for example, could have been released as "Jeff and Roy". But even regarding their imperial phase: Do you really believe that OOTB was a band effort in the narrow sense? For example, the string section didn't contribute much to this album, but they are all listed as full members of the studio band.
1. A New World Record 2. Face The Music 3. Out Of The Blue 4. Eldorado 5. Discovery 6. Time 7. On The Third Day 8. Secret Messages 9. Zoom 10. Xanadu 11. Balance of Power 12. From Out Of Nowhere 13. ELO2 14. ELO 15. Alone In The Universe
1) secret messages 2) time 3) balance of power 4) a new world record 5) discovery 6) out of the blue 7) eldorado 8) zoom 9) face the music 10) on the third day 11) elo 2 12) xanadu 13) from out of nowhere 14) alone in the universe 15) no answer
Perhaps the toughest thing is not to ranking, but to really admit to myself that I like albums with say, "bad press", better that some holy titles.....even acknowledging the fairness of such holy degree. With that said:
Horacewimp: I did, it sounds interesting
Aug 30, 2020 7:27:36 GMT
Horacewimp: Hi elophile good to see you, hope you are keeping well.
Aug 31, 2020 20:25:03 GMT
elophile: Hey-hey! Horacewimp Livin' the dream here in crazytown, er, I mean America! How goes it with you? ::c0112::
Sept 2, 2020 18:11:21 GMT
Horacewimp: We are all good thanks, just wishing I could go on a foreign holiday, it’s just not worth the risk with Covid and the possibility of a 14 day quarantine, we may do some short breaks in the U.K.
Sept 2, 2020 20:30:46 GMT
BSJ: *sniff* no meet up in Detroit's airport. *sniff*
Sept 2, 2020 21:56:17 GMT